Categories: Palm Bay
Discarded Smoking Material Sparks Palm Bay House Fire
PALM BAY, Florida — City of Palm Bay spokesperson Yvonne Martinez said in an email that smoldering smoking material discarded in a kitchen trash bin sparked a fire that caused approximately $15,000 damage.
At approximately 12:40 p.m., Palm Bay Fire-Rescue responded to 2222 Macedo Road NE in Palm Bay, Florida after a neighbor called to report smoke and flames coming from the home.
When firefighters arrived, they gained access to the structure and quickly knocked down the fire which was located in the kitchen area.
Further investigation revealed the fire started in a trash bin next to the dishwasher. Fire investigators determined improperly discarded smoking materials inside the trash bin triggered the fire. There were no reported injuries.
The Red Cross is assisting the occupants of the home.