Christmas sugar cookies are a tried and true tradition to leave as a snack for Santa Claus when he comes to deliver presents for little girls and boys on Christmas Eve. Here is a very easy and inexpensive sugar cookie recipe that can be cut into Christmas cookie patterns.
Christmas Sugar Cookie Recipe:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter softened near room temperature
1 egg, beaten near room temperature
2 tablespoons cream or half and half
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Thoroughly mix sugar and softened butter in a large mixing bowl.
3. Mix in egg, cream, and vanilla extract with the sugar and softened butter.
4. Mix in flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
5. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
6. Lay out two feet of wax paper. Dust with flour.
7. Place half of your chilled dough on the center of the wax paper.
8. Take a flour dusted rolling pin and roll from the center of the dough outward until the dough make a large flattened circle (doesn’t have to be a perfect circle) 1/4 inch thick.
9. Gently press your cookie cutters into the dough to make Christmas cookie shapes.
10. Lift away the excess dough first and set to side.
11. Lift shapes from wax paper and place on ungreased cookie sheet (You can also use aluminum foil as lining on the cookie sheet for each batch of cookies. This helps to make a production line when prepping, baking, and cooling multiple batches of cookies).
12. Repeat the same steps until all of the dough is used, re-dusting with flour between each rolling.
13. Bake cookies until slightly brown, remove immediately from oven.